Epigeum Research Integrity Training Module
Epigeum: Research Integrity Certification and Assessment (RICA) is an interactive course which contains lots of interactive and multimedia content. RICA can be used in undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in fulfillment of a course or just in addition to providing students with knowledge in the area of Responsible Conduct of Research. Participants may self-enroll and class materials can be uploaded by the instructor of the course. It can also be used along with the in-person seminar series as part of the specific requirements for training in the responsible conduct of research as mandated by NIH and NSF, as well as other funding agencies.
Modules include sessions on the following topics:
- Conflict of interest (personal, professional, financial)
- Policies regarding human subjects, live vertebrate animal subjects in research, and safe laboratory practices
- Mentor/mentee responsibilities and relationships
- Collaborative research, including collaborations with industry
- Peer review
- Data acquisition and laboratory tools; management, sharing and ownership
- Research misconduct and policies for handling misconduct
- Responsible authorship and publication
- The scientist as a responsible member of society, contemporary ethical issues in biomedical research, and the environmental and societal impacts of scientific research
On each screen you’ll find interactive elements, case studies, and multimedia content including:
- Polls which allow you to compare your thoughts with those of your peers
- Video interviews with researchers at different levels
- Interactive activities to present information and test knowledge
Along with the main content, there will be boxes which show pop-up text when you click on them. These include supplemental materials and activities such as quotations, statistics, portfolio activities, downloads, useful links, key terms, advice, and a multiple-choice quiz to find out how much you have learned.
By the end of the course, you should have a better understanding of your responsibilities as a researcher, be able to identify the kinds of challenges you might face in meeting these responsibilities and be aware of strategies for dealing with these.
Steps to Accessing the Epigeum Courses
Please see the registration instructions below for new and existing users:
Instructions to new users:
- Go to https://researchintegrity.
- Click Register
- Complete the form, make sure in the email field you use your @uncg.edu email address
- Once registered, you will receive an activation email. If you do not receive this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have clicked on the link in the activation email, you will be able to log in and access the courses through the Online Courses tab
Instructions to existing users:
- Go to https://researchintegrity.
- Click Forgotten your password?
- Enter your @uncg.edu email address
- You will receive a password reset email. If you do not receive this, contact email@example.com
- Enter your @uncg.edu email address as your username, and the temporary password that was sent to you in the email (this will be a string of characters)
- Click on Submit and enter your new password
- Once your log in has been reset, you will be able to log in and access the courses through the Online Courses tab
For all users who have already registered and would like to access the training again, their username will be their @uncg.edu email address. The email address that is registered with Epigeum will also be that same address. The password on the Epigeum system for these users was auto generated at SSO first access, so users can reset their passwords here: https://researchintegrity.
- If you experience technical issues with the Epigeum RICA system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions or concerns, contact the Office of Research Integrity at 336-256-1482 or email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: RCR TRAINING IS SEPARATE FROM IRB TRAINING. SEE HERE FOR A HELPFUL EXPLANATION.