What to Report
What should you disclose?
Publicly Traded Companies
- Ownership of stock, options, etc. from any entity during the preceding 12 months, for you and your family members that appears to be related to your institutional responsibilities.
- Note that investments in which you do not directly control investment decisions, such as mutual funds or retirement accounts, do not need to be disclosed.
Privately Held or Nonprofit Companies
- Any ownership or equity interest from any entity whose stock is not publicly traded, by you and your family members that appears to be related to your institutional responsibilities.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Intellectual Property (IP) in which you or your family members, have an existing or proposed licensing interest.
- IP rights held (or in negotiation) for a pending or issued patent in which you or your family members are listed as inventors.
- Excluding IP held by UNCG.
- Paid or unpaid positions of influence, by you or your family members, with an entity in which the interests of the entity appear related to your institutional responsibilities.
Student Involvement (PIs only)
- Situations in which an activity could create a potential conflict of interest or commitment with respect to a faculty member’s mentorship responsibility.
Sponsored Travel (PHS only)
- Any reimbursed or sponsored travel whose aggregate value paid or reimbursed by any single entity meets or exceeds $5,000 in the prior twelve months, except travel that is reimbursed or sponsored by a Federal, state, or local government agency, an institution of higher education, an academic teaching hospital, a medical center, or a research institute that is affiliated with an institution of higher education.
- Paid authorship from any entity over the past 12 months.
External Professional Activities for Pay
- Any secondary employment that is related to your professional responsibilities at the university. Examples would include: private consulting, serving on a board of directors, speaking engagement, etc. These disclosures go to the departmental supervisor for review and approval. All activities should be disclosed in the annual review process.
When should you disclose?
- Annually (September 30th deadline)
- At the time of research project proposal
- At each new increment of research project funding
- Within thirty (30) days of discovering or acquiring any financial interests for which disclosure is required
- External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP) should be disclosed in the AIR system at least 10 days prior to that activity, and included in the annual COI disclosure process.
How do you submit your disclosure?
All disclosures should be made using the Activities, Interests, & Relationships (AIR) online system.
- Annual disclosures: required from all EPA faculty/staff, and should be made through the “COI Disclosure Annual” link in AIR. Annual email reminders will be sent prior to the September 30th deadline. (Note: all annual disclosures must be submitted via AIR.)
- EPAP disclosures, Travel, and Authorship disclosures: should be made through the appropriate links in AIR, prior to engaging in the outside activity. These disclosures are self-initiated.
- Project specific disclosures: A separate COI disclosure is required for each research project. A unique link will be sent via email for each person on each project once the proposal is submitted. A COI disclosure must be received from all listed personnel before the proposal will be sent to the funding agency/sponsor.
Log into AIR